Monday, January 18, 2010

Mushaboom

I hate mushrooms. Or at least I thought I did before I tried this recipe. I still don't really enjoy the texture of them in naked form on pizzas or salad, but blended with cream and beef stock, they're fantastic.

This recipe takes very little time, especially if you use pre-chopped mushrooms and onions like my lazy self. It's perfect for a chilly, rainy day like today, when you don't want to think about anything besides what will happen during hours three and four of 24.


Mushroom Bisque
Source: my former mother-in-law
Serves: 6
Estimated time: 15 minutes


Ingredients

6 TB butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
oregano
2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms (the amount that comes in the plastic-wrapped blue container at the grocery store is perfect)
3 TB flour
3 cups beef stock
1 bay leaf
salt and ground pepper to taste
3/4 cup half and half
1/4 cup sherry

Directions

1. Melt butter.

2. Add onions, oregano, garlic and stir over moderate heat until onions are transparent.

3. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring constantly, about four minutes.

4. Remove the mixture from heat and blend in the flour.

5. Add stock, slowly, stirring constantly. Add the bay leaf.

6. Bring mixture to boil, reduce heat, simmer. Remove the bay leaf.

7. Puree in blender.

8. Add half and half, sherry, salt and pepper. Heat just to a boil. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This soup was SO GOOD! If you recall, I had 2nd, or 3rd, helpings.

    ReplyDelete